top of page

Day 1 65 Poses Challenge

So as some of you may or may not know, May is Cystic Fibrosis awareness month! Many people use this time of the year to educate others about CF, so I figured I would too. I will be starting a 65 minutes of yoga and meditation daily starting today. I’m starting on Mother’s Day to help raise awareness and recognize all the moms that have C.F. and all the mothers with children who have C.F. We salute you! Which brings me to the first pose I’m going to focus on, Sukhasana with Anjali Mudra or Hands to Heart. Anjali actually means “to salutate”, so yes, moms, this is for you. Mudra means to seal, so I plan to open and close my practice today with this very important pose. It is important to me to understand the meaning of the poses I am tasked with by my friend and yoga teacher Avril so that I feel I understand not only what the poses mean but how they may effect my mental and physical moods.

I was also asked by Avril to write a gratitude list.

My list for today is as follows;

My son

My partner

My family

My friends

Being alive

Being a strong writer

My moral compass

My home

My ability to grow stronger mentally and physically

For now I will choose one word to focus on during my practice and today I’m choosing the word strength because I want to feel stronger in my body. I’m proud of how strong I am in my mind and I always want to grow in my strengths and work on my weaknesses. It is time for me now to get moving and I will return to finish up my writing after.

As of right now my body is very sore, my neck is very tight. On a scale of 1-10 I would say an 8, it is causing me a terrible headache. The pain is shooting up into my head and down between my shoulder blades. My body feels stiff and tired, my mental mood is not excited to start this challenge on a day where I don’t feel well, but I have made a plan and I am going to stick with it.

Now yoga.

So I definitely struggled a little bit with my yoga session today. I did lots of holding poses to feel that stretch and keep a more relaxed flow. My stomach gets very bloated randomly, no one knows why, so it was hard to move through everything as well as I would have liked. Folding over caused pressure in my stomach and made it very difficult for me to move. I’m hoping staying consistent with my practice helps the bloating in my belly, as nothing else has worked so far.

My neck and back felt a little more relaxed after my session and my mind felt refreshed, letting me know how much I have missed yoga the last couple of years. I started and ended my practice with hands to heart, standing and then sitting down. I tried to make myself feel grounded and used my body as a physical representation of that along with focusing my mind on it as well.

Overall I would say my first 65 minute yoga and meditation session was a success. I look forward to continuing on this journey to see what my body can be capable of at the end. The meditation part was very important to me today as my body wasn’t able to move in all the ways I wanted. I stayed patient with myself and chose to focus on the positives rather than the negatives. It is my mantra in life and will be needed for my continuing success during this challenge.

As I end my writing today I want to share a fact with you about Cystic Fibrosis. It is a genetic disease that affects more than 70,000 people world wide. You are born with Cystic Fibrosis when both of you parents are a carrier of it. If only one parent is a carrier than the child cannot have it. If both parents are a carrier the child has a 25% chance of getting the disease or a 1 in 4 chance. If one of the parents has CF but the other is not a carrier the child cannot get CF, however if one parent has it and the other is a carrier there is a 75% chance the child will have CF. If both parents have CF than the child has 100% of having the disease as well. My sons father wasn't a carrier so we knew my son couldn't have CF, but now they are finding many more markers for CF than before, so when my sons father got tested they may not have checked for all the mutations they now know of. Interesting stuff? Or is there something else you would rather learn about? Please don't hesitate to ask questions!

#cysticfibrosis #65roses #65poses #yogachallenge #journal #cfawareness

bottom of page